Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Wisdom Teeth Removed And The Recovery Process So Far

So on the 11th of February, I had the remainder of my wisdom teeth removed (I had only one removed back in the 11th grade if I recall.)

The process of it was simple. Aside from the 4 syringes worth of numbing injected into my mouth, getting the teeth removed was rather quick.

It seems however that the recovery stage of it is the hardest, at least from what I've experienced these past few days.

So my dad and I left the clinic with a few prescriptions for my pain killers and antibiotics, a stack of gauze to help with the bleeding, a syringe to irrigate the empty cavities after meals, and a guide for recovery. With only a few hours left before the numbing wore off, we headed straight for the pharmacy located at the back of a super market. After getting my medicine along with my food supply consisting of cream of mushroom soup, some lactaid, and a 28 oz. tub of strawberry haggen-dazs, we headed straight home.

Now, I've done everything that the recovery guide had told me to do. I've been eating soft foods and avoided taking my medicine on an empty stomach. The pain was tolerable up until last night on the 12th. I was talking to my boyfriend on skype and he has just gone to bed. After taking my medication, suddenly the pain in my mouth was throbbing. It brought me to the point of tears several times.

The pain would go from my jaw, to the entire left side of my head, affecting my left ear as well. I didn't really get any sleep until maybe 4 in the morning when I was able to take my pain medication without any sort of risk. Then the pain just went poof! and I was able to sleep. Right before I took my pain killers, I had gotten up several times to try and remedy the pain. I tried holding as ice pack against the affected area but it felt like it was only amplifying the pain even more. Then I tried applying some of my tooth ache medicine on some of the teeth that were on the same side and it did help for a bit before it came crawling back with revenge.

So I had figured that I probably have a dry socket after much research on the internet. I've decided to try out some of the home remedies that I read up on, and so far I tried diluting a few drops of the clove oil that I have for my tooth aches with water and using the syringe I was given to irrigate the cavity with it. It was affected for a while but the pain came back within the hour. I'm guessing it was because the oil was diluted that it wasn't very effective.

So after I'm done typing this, I'm gonna go into the bathroom again and try dabbing the oil onto one of the cotton balls that it was provided with and I'm gonna apply it directly onto the dry socket and for a while and see if it's effective or not. It's gonna burn and taste horrible but I guess that's the cost of having the pain go away. I know dry sockets don't have any long lasting effects and heals within the week but the pain that it comes with is just something I need taken care of pronto. I do NOT want to have to deal with that pain during my "relaxing" recovery period.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally sympathize with your experience, Aoiyo! Wisdom tooth extraction is definitely one of the most difficult dental procedures around. 4 shots of anesthesia is definitely a must for the biggest tooth to be removed as painlessly as possible. And the radiating pain is surely the worst! I hope you're doing fine by now. Take care!

    Jason @ Metro Dental

    ReplyDelete