Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

My Thoughts on Portal 2


I had been meaning to get this game for a long time because of the videos I've seen ages ago of a few people playthroughing this game probably within the first few weeks that it had come out last year.

Finally after a little over a year later, I have that chance. With a few days before Valentines Day, I was contemplating on what to do with my boyfriend, Jubjub.Then I thought back to how Portal 2 has a cooperative game mode and figured we could do that. So Valentines Day, I went ahead and bought the Portal 2 two pack (50% off thanks to a coupon I got from steam's Christmas event ;D)

We played through the cooperative and I've managed to record up to three hours of our gameplay together. We both enjoyed this game mode, not just for the clever puzzles, but for also the gestures we would perform, sometimes on each other (which you will see soon when I upload it to youtube.)

Few days later, being the weekend and Jubjub still offline, I decided to take the time to endulge in the Portal 2's main story line.

I had just finished the main story line and can honestly say that the gameplay and story is utterly amazing. Though puzzle games aren't my cup of tea, I enjoyed managing through the countless puzzles that the game throws at you. Not only does this game offers great gameplay and nice brain teasing puzzles, but the story line offers intriguing and memorable characters like Wheatly, and of course, Glados. It also offers nice surprises much like Glados' revival and plot twists like.... well, I won't spoil just what exactly happens, so you'll either have the option of either looking up the story or do what I did the day it came out and watch a playthrough :P

What kept me going, what drove me from start to finish is the story line. The game starts off to (literally) a rude awakening, while introducing a new character and immediately throwing the player back into the test chambers from the first portal, bringing back memories from the first game. Then in the end, you are faced with a boss battle with the antagonist and soon afterwards, much like the first game, it sends you off with a song. I can say that the ending left me feeling utterly content.

My overall opinion of the game is highly positive. I highly recommend it to any one. You don't necessarily have to be a fan of the first Portal game to enjoy it for what it is. If you enjoy a great story line, puzzles, or even better, both, then you will be able to enjoy this game for it's entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment